For those who have been out of the job for some time, a returnship may be the perfect chance to get back into the game or restart their careers.
The purpose of returnships is to help seasoned professionals who have been out of the industry for a long time re-up their skills and re-enter the workforce successfully. Internships for the working professional are similar internships for college students.
Maybe you had to be away from us so you could take care of the kids. Over the last several years, many mothers have chosen to take time away from their careers to raise their children. You could have missed time at work due to things like illness, jail time, or a lengthy layoff.
Whatever your reason for leaving employment for a while, a returnship may be the ideal method to get back into the swing of things.
Making the Decision to Return
While work may be—well, work—it can also be a fantastic source of purpose and respect as you contribute to your community and express your abilities. Work also allows you to meet new people and form bonds with coworkers. And work offers you a cause to go out of the home (read: blur the line between work and life) and motivates and structures your day.
Work, in fact, adds to all types of happiness for these reasons. According to a recent Skynova study, 94% of individuals believe returnships may help mental health and 97% believe they can boost confidence.
However, diving full-time might be frightening. People are concerned that they will be unable to adapt to new work patterns or keep up with the pace. According to the survey, they are also concerned about being judged or suffering from impostor syndrome.
Returnships, on the other hand, may provide benefits in a seamless transfer. People specifically seek returnships for the money (68%), to refresh their skills (48%), and to work in a friendly setting (39%).
Seize the Moment of Opportunity
You probably encounter returnships more often than you think you do. According to the survey conducted by Skynova, they are most common in the industries of technology, digital marketing, healthcare, government, education, retail, and finance, as well as the food and hospitality industries. In addition, they are offered by a wide range of businesses, from Accenture and Amazon to Microsoft and Morgan Stanley, among others.
According to the data provided by Skynova, the talents that you will be able to improve the most with the help of a returnship are those related to web development, cybersecurity, programming, data analysis, digital marketing, problem solving, communication, listening, collaboration, and time management. If you are looking for a returnship so that you may expand your skills, these are the capabilities that you will be able to develop the most.
You should, as a general rule, also anticipate being compensated for your returnship. When individuals are looking for a career like this one, 76% say that income is a major criteria, in addition to the 40% who think that insurance is also an important factor. Only seven percent of persons have the financial means to participate in an unpaid returnship opportunity.
Try to learn, learn, and learn some more.
One of the most important reasons to look for a returnship is to grow and learn. According to the study, 61% of people choose a returnship based on the chance to learn new skills, while 39% look for a guide and 33% think about the quality of the hiring process.
Look for companies that offer both planned and unplanned ways to learn, such as in a classroom, through a training program, on a team, or on the job. When a company is ready to invest in your current skills and what you can do for them in the future, that’s a sign that they can help you get back into the workforce and that you might want to work for them in the long run.
The people you’ll work with and the atmosphere of professionalism in a returnship are two more compelling arguments in favor of taking one. Loneliness is a major problem in modern society, although many people find fulfillment and community via their employment. Seventy-five percent of respondents said they met their closest friends at work.
But even if you aren’t seeking a BFF, the social aspect of work is quite satisfying: the sense of belonging to a group and the chance to provide and receive help from coworkers. Thirty percent of persons choose a returnship for the potential for socialization.
In addition, 29% want to make use of the networking possibilities it presents, which is a smart move for gaining access to potential prospects and connections that may aid in advancing one’s career.
Pay attention to the individuals you meet and get a feel for the kind of group you want to join when you conduct interviews and make decisions on potential returnships.
Quicken the Pace of Change
Considering the purpose of returnships—easing the transition back into the workforce—34% of workers actively seek out such opportunities. In addition, 47% of individuals consider the possibility of future full-time work, and 23% look for opportunities to improve in their current positions. Overall, 22% find the structure of work to be beneficial as they shape their lives to fit around their 9 to 5.
You should think about returnships at organizations that have organized programs to help you adjust, adapt, connect, and learn, and that are paying attention to your experience both now and in the future.
Acknowledge Your Progress
Job satisfaction, the chance to use one’s talents, and feeling like one belongs to a group are just a few of the many advantages of working. And returnships are an excellent method to ease the transition and set yourself up for future success in your profession.